What’s the Best Treatment for an Ear Infection?

Ear infections are caused by either a bacteria or a virus, and most kids get them before they turn two years old. Ear infections, which often occur after a cold or throat infection, can be unpleasant or downright painful. Here’s what you need to know about treatments. What are symptoms of an ear infection? Ear…

Health Insurance Aside, Americans Still Struggle To Pay for Their Medications

More than 40% Americans are struggling to pay for the cost of their medications – even though nearly all of them have some kind of health insurance coverage, a new GoodRx survey has found. Despite the fact that nearly all survey respondents reported they had some health insurance coverage for medications, the analysis reveals that…

9 Hangover Remedies That REALLY Work

With the holidays comes more drinking—and hangovers. If you ask around, you’ll be buried in folk remedies for hangovers. But here’s what’s actually been studied and what actually works compared to doing nothing (or taking a placebo). What causes a hangover? Hangovers are NOT caused by an electrolyte imbalance, lactate, ketones or (this will surprise…

Long-Acting Maintenance Asthma Inhalers: Know Your Options

If you have asthma, you’ve likely been prescribed a maintenance inhaler to help control your symptoms long-term, but there are multiple options to choose from: inhaled corticosteroids, long-acting beta agonists, long-acting muscarinic antagonists and combination inhalers. All have different ways of working and side effects, so which one is best for you? Here’s what you…

Top 5 Vaccinations Recommended for Adults With Diabetes

We hear a lot about vaccination shots for children, but it turns out adults also need immunizations. People with diabetes need to pay special attention because they are more likely to get and experience complications from certain infectious diseases. The CDC recommends that adults with diabetes be up-to-date on five different vaccinations. 1) The flu…

Health Insurance Premiums, Deductibles and Copays – Here’s How They Work

Shopping for health insurance and feeling a bit confused? You’re not alone. A recent survey by the UnitedHealthcare Group found that only 9% of Americans have an understanding of four of the most basic health insurance terms: health plan premium, health plan deductible, out-of-pocket maximum and co-insurance. For the other 91% of you, we’re here…

What Really Works To Treat Dry Eyes?

Dry eyes are a common complaint for older patients, especially older women due hormonal changes that affect lubrication. They’re no fun either: Dry eyes can cause a gritty or burning sensation, excessive tears, light sensitivity and even blurry vision. Some people use over-the-counter artificial tears to cope while others turn to Restasis, an expensive prescription…

How Is Consumer Drug Advertising Regulated in the United States?

Lyrica. Humira. Xeljanz. Sound familiar? They should; drug makers spent more than $1 billion on commercials for these three drugs alone in 2017. Given their retail prices—hundreds to thousands of dollars for a prescription—it makes sense, too. But with all the money poured into drug commercials, you’d assume someone was making sure they were informative…

FDA Re-Approves Only Over-The-Counter Inhaler for Mild Symptoms of Asthma

After being banned in 2011 for containing ingredients that damaged the ozone layer, the once popular and affordable over-the-counter inhaler, Primatene Mist, has been updated and will be re-released into pharmacies in 2019. The original version of Primatene Mist was taken off the market as it contained chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), a greenhouse gas that damages the…

How GoodRx Helped Johana Get Her Life Back on Track After Being Diagnosed With Depression

Outgoing and friendly, Johana was her company’s Hispanic Marketing Director, representing them on radio interviews and at as many networking events as she could fit into her schedule. She received a Latino Diamante Award and was frequently told that her laugh was contagious. But when signs of depression started appearing in December 2016, Johana became…